Sunday, March 17, 2013

And Kitty makes three


Stupid Crystal Window...

I always liked cats, even though I shouldn't. My mother doesn't care for animals and my father doesn't care for cats. In fact back in Dominican Republic when I was growing up cats had all sorts of superstitions surrounding them. I remember a few neighbors had cats and my mother used to tell me “Don't touch their fur, you will get a fever!”. My dad called them “Ladrones!” (Thieves) so I never had one as a kid.

I always been a rule follower but I promised myself than when I grew up and got married I will have a cat as a pet. Sadly, the lack of felines ended up with a huge population of mice and rats at least in the capital city (Santo Domingo). Its a miracle we didn't ended up with the Black Death 2.0 or something like it.
So out of necessity, things improved for cats as time passed by and nowadays we have a lot more cats around. My husband was surprised that we don't spay cats in my country. People with a pregnant cats start to get requests for the kittens before the cat delivers them. Some people even harass the owner to make sure she will get one out of the litter. I remember one of my Facebook contacts yelling at another friend because she gave away kittens and didn't gave her one.

My best friend had a cat named Princess, she got pregnant a few months before my paper work was ready so I asked her to give me one of the kittens. Since we are both Twihards I told her “Give me the male one. I will name him Edward” and she agree.
Now, my plan was to take the kitten and leave it in the house for my parents while I would get a couple of American cats here. I assumed my parents dislike for cats, was because they never actually had one. And since we had an infestation of mice I though this will be a great solution for them. If it didn't worked out I could just return the kitten to my friend and she will find a new home for him.
I can imagine the cat owners reading this are guessing what happened next.
Princess, even though she was less than ten pounds, delivered five kittens one of them died so she had four almost healthy live ones. My friend already had six people asking for kittens. She called me one day and told me that one of the persons she denied the cat to was suspiciously visiting around a lot so she was afraid she will steal my cat. I took a small bus (guaguita) with a cartoon box and got my cat that weekend. To this day, that neighbor is still in not speaking terms with my friend.
My friend  assured me that according to her husband, who is  a "cat expert" male kittens are always one or two colors. Cat owners are laughing at this part.
Dominican Cat to the left Gringo Cat to the right.

Weeks passed and I noticed that the only one playing with the cat was me. My parents could feed her when I was at work and my sister kept an eye on her but nothing else beyond that. My plan had failed but then I already loved her too much and couldn't bear the idea of returning her to my friend.
I called my nerd prince when we got the date for the immigration office appointment "What would you think if I tell you I want to bring the cat with me when we get the paperwork done?”. I had been adopted by a cat.
Since we didn't knew for sure if the immigration department will give me the Spouse visa or not (You can get your Visa denied if the consul got out of the wrong side of the bed that day, specially if you are Dominican) the plan B was that he will take the cat with him and wait for me to get the Visa in case I didn't got it at the first go.

Hubby met Edward and found her cute since the beginning. He was a little suspicious of her lack of...manly attributes but decided to wait for the vet to tell us for sure. The vet had to make sure she was healthy and should give us a certification to allow her in the country (waste of time, in the airport they barely looked at her paperwork). We also asked him the gender he picked her up turn her around and said “Una gata”. The color thing was proven just an 'old wives' tale'.
I though on calling her Bella but hubby told me “She comes when you call her. Don't change anything!”.  The girl in Cowboy Bebop seems to de doing okay so we kept the name. Interestingly enough there is a cat in my new neighborhood named Bela and they don't get along, they will totally fall in love now of course.
Hubby noticed how smart she was. She will not only come when I called even if she was around three months old. She also will use the litter no matter where you put it right away.
Happily, I got my Visa and it took us a week to arrange our trip.  Travel with your pets in the plane,  costs almost as much as a plane seat and you put your pet under the chair like any carry on, not happy with that.Thank goodness my hubby's parents helped us with the money for that.
I pet her with my hand in the carrier all the time to make sure she will feel safe and she tolerated the two plane trips well.
She did had a small accident since she had never seen glass windows, upon getting released in the house she tried to jump outside. Ouch! She did okay but she surely learned her lesson that first day.

It has been interesting to live with her. Hubby always commented how tiny our cats are when I found them normal size. Now that I live here: the land of fifteen and twenty pounds cats I see what he means. We guess it might be due to Insular dwarfism
Another funny thing is that Edward doesn't like catnip, she runs away from it. We call her Straight Edge cat.
Also it seems that technically she is fourth feral since Dominicans didn't breed house cats. They mostly get in and out of the house and Princess mate seems to part of a glaring. That manifested when we took her to the vet the first time. She was crying, screaming and biting everything within sight. My eight pounds of cat needed four people to get her to take a pill. To this day she has a red label in her medical record that says "Will bite". My husband nicknamed it "The little blender in the shape of a cat"
"Please little monkey don't eat me"

She is actually very sweet to us and the people she sees often enough. She is warming up to the baby but when I brought him home she didn't entered our room for almost a whole week. Of course the baby was almost two pounds bigger than her so she probably wanted to make sure he won't eat her. She is kind of a coward. One day we heard a strong noise and she disappeared for almost an hour.

I'm really thankful for Edward. I would had been sad to be alone at home while hubby worked if it wasn't for her keeping me company and life would be a lot duller without her trying to steal his bacon when he has breakfast.
I love you Edward (both Cullen and Bastow)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...